Tuesday 31 March 2020

The Vanishing Trick - review

Hello, hello my lovelies,

I hope you are staying safe during these difficult times. 

Today I am doing a review for:

The Vanishing Trick by Jenni Spangler

The Vanishing Trick (Paperback)


  • Illustrated by Chris Mould
  • Published by Simon and Schuster Ltd
  • Release date: 30.3.20


Synopsis
Madame Augustina Pinchbeck, travels the country conjuring the spirits of dearly departed loved ones... for a price. Whilst her ability to contact ghosts is a game of smoke and mirrors, there is real magic behind her tricks too - if you know where to look.

Through a magical trade, she persuades children to part with precious objects, promising to use her powers to help them. But Pinchbeck is a deceiver, instead turning their items into enchanted Cabinets that bind the children to her and into which she can vanish and summon them at will.

When Pinchbeck captures orphan Leander, events are set into motion that see him and his new friends Charlotte and Felix, in a race against time to break Pinchbeck's spell, before one of them vanishes forever...


Review

Wow. What can I say other than I absolutely loved this book! 

I really enjoyed the setting. I'm liking historical fiction more and more. I think it can be particularly hard to capture the time period when writing for children, as they may have little understanding of this time, but I felt there was enough historical detail for them to understand.
Then there was the premise of the story set around the dark, sinister world of the seance and being able to see and talk to spirits of past loved ones. This was utterly believable. The introduction of the early camera was portrayed well and the whole mysteriousness of the 'other world' had a real sense of foreboding, even though we know, as readers, it was all done through magic. Yet, we're not actually sure how the magic works! Love that element.

This story follow Leander, an orphan and street child who just about scrapes through life stealing morsels of food and sleeping wherever he can, as he gets duped into believing Augustina Pinchbeck when she says she will give him a job and food in exchange for him working for her.

 I thought the character of Leander was totally believable. Despite where he has ended up in life, he has good morals. He knows right from wrong (even though he steals) and he believes that there is good in everyone. Just before he agrees to work for Pinchbeck, we get a mysterious glimpse of Charlotte, who we later find out also works for Pinchbeck, as she tries to stop him making the wrong choice. That section of the book in itself was a mystery as we feel ourselves asking the same questions as Leander.

Leander soon discovers that all is not as it seems. He learns to trust Charlotte and Felix (the third child) as together they try to stop Pinchbeck fooling the rich as she tries desperately to become a famous medium.

Pinchbeck reminded me of the child catcher. The author really worked her magic in making us, as well as Leander, believe that she is just looking out for him. Yet soon, we see her other side. A side that encompasses magic, stories, evil, darkness, greed and trickery. The more I read the book, the more I hated her but I just couldn't quite work out why things were happening. I just had to keep reading!

The book was full of suspense and a sense of fear for the children. Would they die? Would they survive? Would they be locked away forever? A fantastically written story that takes the reader on a heart stopping journey. There were times when I found myself reading quicker and quicker. I could feel my heart thumping as I was totally sucked in to the plights of the children.

For me, this book stands out as one of a kind. The setting, the characters and the plot all were different to anything I've read at middle grade before.

I'd highly recommend this book to children of about 9 upwards. It may be a little too tense for lower key stage 2. It easily fits within the Victorians topic and further research could be done in class to enhance the children's understanding of the time period. There would be so much to look into: clothes, development of the camera, travel, beliefs etc.

This has to be the easiest 5 stars I've ever given. 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy reading,

Allison xx

No comments:

Post a Comment