Sunday 8 March 2020

The Unadoptables - review

Hello, hello my lovelies, 

How are things? Have you done much reading?

I read The Unadoptables by Hana Tooke a little while ago now and just haven't got around to reviewing it. So here we are!

The Unadoptables (Hardback)

This is due to be on the shelves 14th May 2020.

So I have to get this off my chest first and foremost ... I freaking loved this book!! Without a doubt is the best book I've read this year so far. I will definitely by buying a hard copy as I had a kindle version. 

This is the story of Lotta, Egg, Milou, Fenna and Sem, The Unadoptables. So called as they weren't left for adoption in the 'normal' way. They landed at the Little Tulip Orphanage under the watchful eye of the matron, Elinor Gasbeek. She is quite a tyrant and particularly loathes these 5. Desperate times call for desperate measures and she agrees to sell the children to a Scrooge-like character in order to cook the books and make it look like she is able to re-home all her little adoptees. 

I say Scrooge like but he more reminded me of Fagin I think. I just pictured Fagin's picture each time he appeared in the book. Adventures start when the children realise all is not as it seems and make their bid to escape.

Each child has their own backstory and each is just as heartwarming as the other. I felt an instant affinity with the children, almost understanding their turmoils and began willing them to make the right choices. I loved the fact that they all had a different talent which enabled them as a group to be self sufficient.

The main part of the book follows Milou and her quest to find her parents. She keeps a notebook in which she writes all her theories and clues she uncovers along the way as she desperately tries to not only find her family but also establish why she was left at the orphanage in the first place. She feels there must be a reason which would explain in a positive way as she can't believe that her parents would do such a thing unless something terrible had happened.

There are laughs and adventures along the way. Set in Amsterdam, homage is played to the frozen canals and ice skating, tulips, windmills and bicycles. All those things synonymous with Holland.

The writing is lovely and flows at a quick pace. The adventures are well written and I found myself quickly turning pages, longing to find out what happens next.

I thought this was an adorable book and one that would be suitable in an upper key stage 2 classroom, so maybe for children from about 9 onwards. I would have liked to have read it to my class (year 3) but I wasn't sure they would understand some of the underlying themes.

This book is about life, love, the past, the future and the journey between. 

I will easily rate this book 5 stars.

Let me know your thoughts about this book. Were they the same as mine? I'm biased with my opinion but I'm interested to hear what you think too. Treat yourself when it's published and buy a copy. You won't be disappointed!

Happy reading,

Allison xx




No comments:

Post a Comment