Wednesday 18 March 2020

Oh No Bobo! - review

Hello, hello my lovelies,

I hope you are all well.

Today I have another review for you.

Oh No Bobo! by Donna David. Illustrated by Laura Watkins
Due to be published 21.4.20

Oh No, Bobo! - Storytime (Paperback)

Synopsis:
Join Bobo the Orangutan on his quest to find the perfect pillow and ensure a good night's sleep.

Bobo is sure one of his jungle friends will be able to help. He plucks a feather here and a tuft of hair there but only causes upset! Bobo is left despondent and still without a pillow. But when Elsie the elephant enthusiastically strokes Bobo and wraps him up in her trunk in an effort to play, Bobo gets very upset indeed. Will Bobo and Elsie both learn and important lesson about asking permission? 

Beautifully illustrated, QED's Storytime series introduces young children to the pleasures of reading and sharing stories. Featuring charming animal and human characters, the books explore important social and emotional themes like friendship, gratitude, perseverance and overcoming fears. A Next Steps page at the back provides guidance for parents and teachers.


Review

This is a beautiful book. I actually felt quite broody as I wanted a little child in my lap to read this to! 

Bobo is a baby orangutan who can't sleep very well because his branch is a bit uncomfortable. We travel with him as he swings through the jungle meeting different animals that he wants to use as a pillow. Needless to say, those animals aren't too keen and definitely let him know about it! I have to admit I did chuckle when the slow loris bit him. I could just imagine a little one laughing out loud at this. 

Finally Bobo meets Elsie, a baby elephant who finds herself in exactly the same position. She can't sleep either! Unfortunately, or fortunately you could say, she gives Bobo a taste of his own medicine.

This is a gorgeous book. The illustrations are vibrant and really sell the story. I love the final picture of Bob with his mum, it would make a lovely print in a child's bedroom. The story is beautifully told, with short sentences making the it easy to read aloud, follow along, or for children to try to read themselves. Lovely repitition means the children can join in with their predictions too.

A beautiful bedtime book where, as Bobo and his mum snuggle together at the end, so can you and you child or grandchild as you put them to bed after.

Alternatively, this could be easily used in an EYFS setting. There is a page at the back with some ideas for teachers which is a lovely touch. If anyone does Talk For Writing in their setting, this would be perfect for that. 

A super picture book.

Rating:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I hope you enjoyed this review and I have tempted you to go and buy a copy.

I would like to thank NetGalley for providing me this copy for my honest review.
I would also like to thank QED Publishing, Donna David and Laura Watkins.

Happy reading,

Allison xx

No comments:

Post a Comment