Monday 16 March 2020

The House of Hidden Wonders - Review

Hello, hello my lovelies,

How are you?
I'm actually off work today but not because of the dreaded virus. I hope you are all safe and well.

So today I am reviewing The House Of Hidden Wonders by Sharon Gosling.

The House of Hidden Wonders (Paperback)

This is due to be published 02.04.20

Synopsis:

Zinnie and her sisters live in the murky tunnels beneath Edinburgh's Old Town. They keep out of the way of the authorities and remain undetected. Until, that is, rumours of a ghost bring unwanted visitors into the caverns they call home. Among them, a young Arthur Conan Doyle, keen to investigate, and MacDuff, the shady owner of Edinburgh's newest attraction, the House of Wonders. 
Caught up in a world of intrigue and adventure, Zinnie seeks answers. But how can she discover what secrets lie in the House of Wonders while also protecting the sisters she holds so dear? 


Review
To start, Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities in the Uk. I've only been there twice and both times I fell head over heels in love with it. I love the juxtaposition between the old and new architecture, the vibrancy, the history, the people, the accent and everything else associated with it; so I was already excited to read this knowing it was set deep in Victorian Auld Reekie. 

Add in a strong female protagonist who strives for the best despite adversity and we're on to a winner. Zinnie, the eldest of 3 sisters has a strong mother role where, despite living hand to mouth in the slums, wants the best for her siblings and will do anything to make sure they are all ok. Sadie, the next sister down is quiet and demure with a love for botany and the medicinal properties of plants. Lastly, there is Nell. The youngest sister and one who takes ill through the poor living conditions. The relationship between the sisters is extremely powerful and shows the bond they all have. They will do anything for each other and anything to stay together. Zinnie knows they don't live well but knows it is her duty to look after them. She wants the best for them but understands she can only do what she can. However, that doesn't mean she rests on her laurels and accepts things for what they are. In fact, quite the opposite.

She has a friendship with a young Arthur Conan Doyle and between the 2 of them, they seem to feed off each other. He understands Zinnie knows the streets of Edinburgh like the back of her hand. Zinnie knows that he is a learned man who is inquisitive and won't stop at what is there before him. If he feels there is more to something than the obvious, he and Zinnie almost think aloud together in a search to unravel a mystery.

Also in the book is another very powerful, strong lady called Lady Sarah Montague. How I would love to be her! She is widowed and has travelled extensively around the world on her own and intends to keep going, much to the dismay of the gentlemen around her who think a lady should be doing no such thing! Lady Sarah puts these men swiftly back in their place. She is an endearing character and one who takes an instant liking to Zinnie, albeit she is a street child,  knowing she is a friend of Conan Doyle. 

Then we have Dr Sophia Jex-Blake. Again another female character and as it turns out, another factual person from the time. I'm not going to spoil it here and tell you her history as I think it will be interesting for you to find out, as I did, when you get to the end of the book. I must admit, the author really has done her research and I love this aspect of the book, mixing fact with fiction. Delicious!

Then there is the bad guy. A supposedly American freak show owner who isn't all that he seems. As you read the book, you take an instant dislike to him and that's all down to the power of the writing.

Finally there is one more girl who I'm not going to say anything about. All I will say is that I cried when I found out about her. I'll leave that little nugget with you.

This was an absolutely fantastic book and one that I will definitely be buying. Suitable for upper key stage 2 as there are some darker themes, we follow Zinnie as she takes us on a rip-roaring adventure to solve her own Sherlock Holmes style murder mystery. You are thrown straight into the story from page 1 and to be honest, as I was reading, I forgot it was even a middle grade book. I was so engrossed that I needed to read and read until every little twist was put into place. 

This is a story of sibling love; a love for someone no matter what they look like, be that in race or disability. The bond between people through adversity to not only make the best of what they have but also stand by their morals and fight for justice and what is right. There is the history of the underground streets and a glimpse into life as it was then, yet just down the road, the rich lived with their staff.
I can already say with confidence, that this will be one of my best books of the year. I'd highly recommend this to anyone, adults and children alike who want an adventure that draws you straight in and you can get your teeth into.

Without hesitation, this gets ...

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐  5 stars!

I hope this review has inspired you to read this.

I would like to thank NetGalley for sending me a copy of this book for my honest review. Also Little Tiger Press Group and Sharon Gosling.

Happy reading.

Allison xx

No comments:

Post a Comment